Penne with Chili Tomatoes and Spinach
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes (crushed red pepper)
- 200g wholemeal penne pasta
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 100ml red wine
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 125g spinach leaves
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and chili flakes, stirring regularly, for 5 mins (add a little water if they begin to stick).
- Cook pasta following pack instructions.
- Add the tomatoes, wine and oregano to the frying pan and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins.
- Shake the spinach into the pan and cook for 1-2 mins until wilted.
- Tip pasta into the pan with the sauce.
- Toss to combine and serve.
Sarahn’s Tip: SPINACH, SPINACH, SPINACH! I’m learning this lesson time and time again. Even when you think there’s too much spinach, add a little more!
Sarahn’s Twist: For a tangy twist, to complement the chili flakes and garlic seasoning, I seasoned the pasta with lemon pepper and a little bit of lemon juice. Try it, and feel your taste buds come alive!
This recipe also called for parmesan cheese, but I decided to skip out on it and play around with the seasoning instead.
Sarahn’s Taste: I’m not a huge fan of wheat pasta. It has a chewy texture that I’m not crazy about. Some people like the taste and it is definitely a healthy alternative. But don’t hesitate to substitute in regular penne if wheat is not your thing. #sarahnsays