Mexican Inspired Stuffed Peppers
- 1 1/2 tbs salt
- 4 large green or red bell peppers – tops, seeds and membranes removed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chili-style diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cook rice following pack instructions
- Bring a large pot of water and 1 tbs of salt to a boil; cook peppers in boiling water until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the oil, 5-10 minutes.
- Mix rice, black beans, tomatoes, and cooked onion in a large bowl.
- Add chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and table salt; stir until evenly mixed.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of Mexican cheese blend into rice mixture.
- Spoon rice mixture into each bell pepper. Arrange peppers on baking sheet. Sprinkle peppers with Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 30 minutes.
Sarahn’s Tip: You might know this one…don’t drive yourself crazy measuring the amount of spices to add. Let your wrist do a little dance and add some more flavor to your table.
Sarahn’s Twist: I used brown rice for the mixture. So yummy! I also added a can of corn to the recipe and mixed that in with the rice mixture.
Sarahn’s Taste: If it’s not pizza, I don’t like it too cheesy, so I opted out of mixing the cheese in with the rice and beans and just sprinkled it on the top instead. I do wish that I added some salsa to the mixture, just to give it a little more of that ‘Mexican’ kick. #sarahnsays