Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 apple – peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Bring water to a boil in a heavy, large saucepan and stir in the oats. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook oats until they begin to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in apple, carrot, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Let the oats simmer until tender, about 10-12 more minutes.
- While the oats are simmering, melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat and stir in the pecans. Toast the nuts until fragrant and lightly browned, 2-5 minutes, then sprinkle with brown sugar and stir until sugar has melted and coated the pecans.
- Mix pecans with oatmeal. Serve in bowls with a dollop of yogurt.
Sarahn’s Tip: If you’re not in a rush (which you most likely aren’t if you’re experimenting with my Tuesday Treat) turn the oatmeal on the lowest possible heat and let it simmer even slower, 15-20 minutes after you’ve added all your ingredients and spices.
Sarahn’s Twist: I added honey and a tiny bit of vanilla extract to the oatmeal after I mixed in the carrots, apple, and raisins.
Sarahn’s Taste: You might want to use a little less nutmeg and ginger, as these seasonings take away from the lighter taste of oatmeal…unless of course you can enjoy a more pungent taste. If so you’ll like the smell of this dish and love the taste even more! #sarahnsays