Everyday, I grow more excited about what awaits me on the other side of graduation. That’s 87 days from now. Seems like no time at all when you think about the lifetime of excitement, both challenging and celebratory that has brought me to this moment, and will take me through the rest of my life. But now, more than ever before, I feel myself so dedicated to the quest of knowledge (both inside and outside the classroom), that’s paving its’ way through these last months of my undergraduate career. Somehow, this quest has brought me to books. BOOKS! Oh so dreamy and daring it is to find time during this hectic stage in my life to read more than I ever have before, for both pleasure and purpose.
I have no idea exactly what these books will bring me, and I really don’t care, because it feels right! I think you could benefit from going on this “feels right for the insight” journey with me for the rest of the year-and BEYOND if the books take us there! I also have a strong sense that the magic that lies within these books is special enough to share with you, so we can learn and grow together.
Let it be known first, that I had so much difficulty deciding which 17 books I would read, review, and resource this year. Truth is, I’m in love with books and reading and expression and life lessons…and I went through a solid 200+ titles before I decided on these works below. I wanted to have a good mix of books that covered everything I love and want Sarahn Says to represent: female empowerment, mental/spiritual health, blackness, history, nutrition, connection and something I’m trying to manifest more in my own life, personal and professional success.
So how did I decide on the books that made the final cut? It ultimately came down to the titles that crossed over multiple interests listed above, books that were on every “Life Changing Books” list I came across, personal recommendations and a few that I’ve been telling myself I would read for a while now. But…it was REALLY hard.
I added a few more to the list in hopes that I can get to them too before the dawn of 2018. It’s one of #myevolution17 goals to read this year. Read for you, read for me, read for the world…read to the world. There’s nothing better than finding wisdom in words, purpose on pages, and to be awakened through art.
Interested in reading any of these books with me? Click on their title to learn more and move one step closer to getting them in hand (in 2 days if you have Prime)! Also, if you know a book that undoubtedly should be on this list in place of something else, or can attest that one of these books was life changing for you, let me know in the comments below.
The 17 Books I’m Reading, Reviewing & Resourcing in 2017 (In no particular order)
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav
- The 4 Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Gender Talk by Johnnetta Betsch Cole
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
- Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice by Dennis Kimbro & Napoleon Hill
- The China Study by Thomas Campbell
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- Commanding Your Morning by Cindy Trimm
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The 4 Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss
ifwhen I get there…(In no particular order)
- An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Fervent by Priscilla Shirer
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter by Meg Jay
- Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.” ― Anna Quindlen