May 2018 Reading
Year of Yes details famous TV-show creator Shonda Rhimes’s change from introversion to socialite by saying “Yes” to anything for a full year and how she was finally able to face her fears and start loving herself.
To purchase this book click here: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Yes-Dance-Stand-Person/dp/1476777128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524270410&sr=8-1&keywords=year+of+yes
In the month of May 2018, we are reading Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. We encourage you to share your questions, comments, and thoughts on the book in the comment section below. This text is timeless, so join the conversation whenever the book finds its way to you.
Let’s get the conversation started…
- Can you think of a time when you let an opportunity slip away all because you couldn’t find the courage to say yes?
- Every kid has a dream, fantasy, or talent they want to pursue. The “I want to be blank when I grow up.” What was yours? Are you living it today? If not, why?
- Shonda describes being at an event and noticing that not a single woman in the room could handle being told they are awesome. Why do you think women are reluctant to take glory in their achievements or appear arrogant even when they’ve earned it?
- People do what they like to do. So what is it that consumes most of your free time? If money wasn’t an object, how would you spend your time?
- Do you think it is more of a challenge for black people to socialize with coworkers outside of work? Do you have a “work” persona that is different from your “play” persona?
- Shonda writes that when she does something, she really does it and throws herself into to 100 percent. What would you do if you we’re restricted by fear?
- What is your version of a happy ending?
What questions have come up for you while reading Year of YES? Share them below.
Learn More about Shonda Rhimes and Year of Yes
Shonda Rhimes’s Dartmouth Commencement Speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHQ6TH60_I
Shonda Rhimes’s TEDTalk “My Year of Saying Yes to Everything” : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmj-azFbpkA&t=381s